Thursday, October 11, 2007

Question??

Parenting Question of the Day - How do you stop a child from reading too much?

Yes, that really is my problem. I emailed Ryan's teachers a few days ago to see how Ryan is doing since I don't get a chance to see them now that he is in the jr. high and doesn't want me hanging around school. Anyway 2 of his 3 main teachers have replied back so far and while the reports were not horrible, they both stated that he reads too much in class instead of doing the work he is suppossed to. He is getting his work done most of the time but he seems to rush through so he can read. The teachers say he is getting B's but that they are sure he could do better if he took his time. I love that he loves to read and don't want to discourage him but he needs to learn there is a time & place for that and his school work is more important then his leisure reading. I am hoping the discussion we had will solve the problem but we even have this problem at bedtime and have for a long time.We just didn't realize it carried over into school and we haven't been able to stop it at home. He really has trouble putting a book down once he starts it.

3 comments:

Treighsie said...

Just be glad that that's the problem you're having! But seriously, I understand a lot because Sam reads a lot too. I did too when I was younger. And I remember being yelled at for reading during class!! I'm not sure what you can tell him, aside from what you already did. It's true, there's a time and place. During school isn't the right place unless it's free period.
Good luck! I'm glad to hear he's doing well!!

Rosemary said...

That's a tough one Jenn. Reading is something I always encouraged and was encouraged to do, there is so much to be learned from books. I am not sure what the answer is other than what you have done, maybe it is a phase he will move on from.

Unknown said...

I have no idea how to handle that. My first thought was like Tracy's, I wish my boys loved reading. I hope that the talk with him worked.