Friday, June 8, 2007

Graduation Day

Yesterday both my babies had graduation. Ryan graduated from the 5th grade. I cannot believe he will be going to middle school. I did not think I would be so emotional but when I heard the graduation song I started crying. I am not really ready to start letting go. This is a poem that their principal read at both graduations. Needless to say this made me cry too.


Children are like kites
Parents spend a lifetime trying to get them off the ground
you run with them until you are both breathless
they crash
they hit the rooftop
you patch and comfort, adjust and teach
you watch them lifted by the wind and assure them that someday they will fly
finally they are airborne
they'll need more string and you keep letting it out
but with each twist of the ball of twine there is sadness that goes with the joy
the kite becomes more distant and you know it won't be long
before that beautiful creature will snap the lifeline that binds you together
and will soar as is meant to soar
free and alone
only then you know you have done your job


My little Ashlyn graduated from Kindergarten, this not so emotional she is still my baby.

I am so very proud of them both. Ryan got awards for Honor Roll, Accelerated Reader and was recognized for his acceptance into the Duke University 5th grade talent search for students who scored in over the 90th percentile in their end of grade tests last year.

Ashlyn got awards for Homework Star, She was one of 2 who got an award for their outstanding performance in music and she was also 1 of only 4 kindergarteners who got an accelerated reader award.

now for some pictures:







WAY TO GO GUYS!! WE ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU BOTH!!!

2 comments:

Treighsie said...

You have every right to be proud of them!! Wow! Congrats to both of them!

Unknown said...

Wow they both had a terrific year at school. Congrats to them both.