Monday, April 30, 2007

I'll Never Get To...

Tell my father I'm sorry and I was wrong.

Most of my life I thought my father was the meanest man alive, he was gone most of the time with his job and when he came home life was different, very different. When dad was gone, mom pretty much let us do anything, and quite frankly we did a lot of things we shouldn't have and I know that I am very lucky I made it through high school. I made some very bad choices and did some very stupid things.When dad came home he was very strict, we couldn't go anywhere, do anything. I pretty much couldn't stand him once I became a teenager.

Now as the mother of a boy getting ready to hit the teen years, I get it, I totally get it. I am so scared for Ryan that he will make bad choices and get into trouble. I know the things I did and it scares me he might do some of the same. My brothers tease me that I am very overprotective but I couldn't live with myself if anything ever happened to him. I just wonder if this was why my dad behaved as he did. He had some wild teen years from the stories I heard and he had a brother that died at a very young age because of these types of activities so I just wonder now if he was trying to protect us from the bad. Yes, he could have done a few things differently, but no one is a perfect parent, and I now think he only had the best of intentions.

3 comments:

Amy Marie said...

Jenn, wow very touching.. interesting how time changes your perspective... Amy M.

Treighsie said...

*hug*
Yes, I feel the same way. I don't want my kids to get in to trouble, or get hurt, or what? So scary! But you are a great mom and you are doing a wonderful job!

Unknown said...

You're doing a great job as a mum. It is interesting how we look back on our life as children & totally see where are parents were coming from.