Friday, September 7, 2007

Hi There!

Wow, can't believe a whole week has gone by and nothing to post. Things here have been really busy around here. School is going really good for both me and the kids.

We had grade level meetings at Ashlyn's school last night and quite frankly I am surprised at some of the things they plan to teach her this year. At one point while talking about math her teacher said they were going to be learning about line plots and shows us an example on the board and to my surprise it was exactly what Ryan brought home on his math test yesterday. Granted it does seem pretty simple but if they are testing 6th graders on this I am surprised they are teaching it to 1st graders. Alot of the things she talked about teaching this year are things Ryan didn't even get to until 2nd grade. Guess it will be an interesting year. Let the homework begin :)

Ryan seems to be really liking school also, he says the work is pretty easy so far, hopefully we will have a good year. It is weird for me this year with him at the junior high since I don't really know the school and teachers. I feel kind of lost about how things are done. Guess I will figure that all out in time.

My school is going well too. One of my classes drives me completely insane since all the teacher does is read to us from the book, quite frankly I can save my time and do that at home, so I hate going to that class. But I am totally loving my Philosophy class, we are discussing the existance of God right now and it is very interesting. We started this by reading Bertrand Russell's "Why I Am Not a Christian" and I was very surprised by a lot of what I read. Definitely left me rethinking what I have been taught all my life. But I will leave that for another post.

Anyway today is my day off from almost everything, we only have to go to dance class, then the town I live in is having their annual festival this weekend and tonight night is the street dance so the kids are really excited about that and then Saturday is the actual festival complete with fireworks that evening, so a busy weekend for us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I often wonder what they teach in philosophy. I was always a bit wary of taking it in case the books we had to read would be way over my head. It sounds quite interesting.

I hope you have a fun weekend.

bahama97 said...

The philosophy class does sound really interesting. Next time we have lunch, you'll have to tell me more about it. Glad all is going well :)

Amy Marie said...

Wow sounds like things are going well... as for math... teachers are beginning to realize the hands on fun math they've been teaching for the last several years is not getting kids to learn the basics.. like adding and subtracting so they are starting to switch back to that kind...

Enjoy your philosophy class can't wait to hear your take on the book.